Futures thinking - learning and development
SAMI has a track record of running highly rated strategic futures courses on behalf of the Horizon Scanning Centre and Civil Service Learning. As well as continuing to offer bespoke training courses for in-house teams, SAMI are now offering two styles of courses open to everyone.
- An Introduction to Futures Thinking and Scenario Planning
This half-day briefing course is designed for people wanting to get up to speed with the latest ideas in futures thinking, It will incorporate sections on a range of futures thinking techniques, including horizon scanning, three horizons, scenario planning, risk analysis, stakeholder impacts, and visioning. Next courses in June/September 2017
- Two-day workshop
This practical "hands-on" course is designed to give participants a good understanding of a range of futures techniques and includes exercises to gain confidence in using them. There are plenty of opportunities to discuss case studies and for participants to share their experience. Next courses on 3-4 July and in September 2017. Topics covered include:
- Why it is important to anticipate the future
- Horizon scanning and drivers of change
- Introduction to automated scanning tools and scanning databases
- Scenario planning methods and building scenarios
- Using scenarios to develop and test policies; and assess stakeholder impacts
- Introduction to systems mapping and modelling
- Risk analysis
|We are planning a number of other events and training sessions:
- Our next webinar
Our next webinar is The Future of Work in Health, based on our recent Forum. Wednesday 17 May 2017 17:00 - 18:00 BST
More details about the presenters can be seen here.
- A two day Bootcamp on futures thinking tools
In August, we are repeating our successful 2 day Bootcamp which introduces a range of futures thinking tools, led by SAMI Principal Dr Wendy Schultz at Wolfson College Oxford.
- Dealing with uncertainty
One day training courses in October on "Dealing with uncertainty" led by SAMI Associate Professor Garry Honey and "Superforecasting" led by Professor Paul Moxey, will both be in Central London.
- Overcoming cognitive bias
A one day training course in November on "Overcoming cognitive bias" will be led by Professor Paul Moxey in Central London
- Another Bootcamp
In January 2018 we plan another two day Bootcamp on futures thinking tools, but in Central London.
- In-House training
We continue to offer bespoke or "off-the-peg" courses to in-house teams, where the content of the exercises can be tailored to the specific environment of the organisation. Typically these courses would be in workshop format over two days, but can readily be adapted to meet clients' needs.
- Dealing with Uncertainty
Political & Economic uncertainty is the new business environment norm, so we are now also offering a one-day internal workshop on the analytical tools for dealing with uncertainty. It will examine:
- Causes of uncertainty - examine different types of uncertainty, demystify the intelligence gap, make sense of the unknown, and appreciate what is knowable:
- Response to uncertainty - exploit the benefit to be gained from a rational mind-set tuned to prevent errors common to collective or consensual decisions.
Detailed descriptions on the type of content of these courses and background material for the techniques are available on our training techniques pages.
For more information and prices for any of these courses, please contact us on email@example.com